Cheerios

Go down

Cheerios

Post by Greys4Us on Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:27 am

As you all know we recently placed Cheerios in his forever home with Helen Coleman, who lives in Annapolis, MD. She is a veteran when it comes to raising greyhound puppies. She sent me an email and I am posting it here. I asked her to join the forum so that she can keep us posted about Cheerios and his growing up adventures. I hope she will, but if not, then I will continue to post here for her. Here is her first installment:'

The “Raising” of a Greyhound Puppy or How Chee’Rio”s stole my heart!
by Helen Coleman.

I have suffered from “greyhound puppy fever” since 1989. I was first exposed to the disease by a friend of mine who had just adopted an eight week old pup named “Teddi”. “Teddi” was named to match her brothers “Booby & “John” and fill out the missing trio. I was in love the moment I saw her, then I met her sister, Misty Blu. Misty was a lilac color, considered a blue fawn, and she had a sore paw that someone had injured. I picked her up, smelled that special “puppy breath” and was dead in the water. Misty Blu came home with us but sadly she was only with us for six months as we lost her to those deadly tick borne diseases. At that time, this insidious disease had just reared its ugly head and little was known about them or how to treat them On the anniversary of her sixth month birthday, I held her as she left her earthly vessel and soared high above the clouds with the angels. The neurologist asked to perform a necropsy in order to find out exactly what had killed our little girl and with a heavy heart we agreed. If only one greyhound could be saved and another owner spared our grief then it was our duty to help.

In the month that passed (late September), we adopted a 2 year old that my husband aptly named “Misty Too". She was what we imagined our puppy would have looked like had she been able to grow up. She was the “perfect” greyhound, self potty trained, well behaved, indescribably beautiful, loved to wear the silly hats I made her and was crazy about children. That December, I had a relapse of “puppy fever” . the same friends that had exposed me to the disease, came for dinner and just happened to mention that their group had just gotten in four more puppies. My husband without hesitation said “NO HELEN”……Later that same night, I brought home my second greyhound puppy! You see, it was my birthday and what I wanted most in the world was another puppy. However, this puppy was quite different from my first one.

Tigger’s first night with us was spent howling, pulling things off tables, chasing the cat, howling, scratching at the bedroom door, (after he had eaten his way out of the cardboard box we had fashioned a “home” for him). He ended up sleeping between me and the hubby somewhere around 3AM. The next day I called the group leader and requested a crate…to this point I was crate aversive, Tig made me a crate advocate in one night. The sight that greeted me that next morning was unbelievable…chairs overturned, patches of fur missing from the cat, our Irish Setter was minus ALL of his beautiful tail feathers, a rectangular coffee table was now oval after having all four corners chewed off, the food and water dish were upside down with soggy mush all over the floor, and the Sunday paper was in quarter bite size pieces all over the living room…Yes, the crate became my best friend!!

Trust me when I tell you, that not a day went by that I did not threaten to send Tig back or decapitate him. Then he would look at me with his deep black shark like eyes and give the most pitiful Roooo anyone has ever heard . I would scoop him up into my arms and hug him so hard he squealed to be let go. He became the “heartdog” of a lifetime and his adventures kept the greyhound group in fits of laughter for years to come. I will write about my Tig adventures later. Tig remained with me for almost fourteen years. We suffered through two broken legs, a suicide attempt by him eating 50 100mg chewable rimadyl tablets that were in a closed drawer, (imagine five greys all vomiting on your lawn at the same time after having to give them epacac because we were not sure who ate the tablets), many cuts, bruises, a “small” cyst on his penis that ended up being as big as a golf ball inside, pannus which eventually took nearly all his sight and finally two strokes, the second of which took my beloved Tigger to Rainbow Bridge.

I have had many adult greys throughout my life but have never lost that craving for a puppy. Here I am 60 years old and I am embarking on my third and final greyhound pup named “Cheerio” (Rio for short) by Belinda the lady that whelped him, saved his life and loved him dearly enough to want a good life for him. Brought to me by Fast Friends and our dear Hettie. His adventures are just beginning so prepare yourselves for many “Rio” stories as we can already tell that he is going to be quite the character…..he has Tigger’s shark like eyes and quick mind, Misty Blu’s sweetness and analytical thought process , a vocal range that Maria calls the opera star would be envious of and a gigantic heart that I know will entrap anyone brave enough to come within his radar. I know I am a victim of his charms.

Rio can wave his little paw, let out a yelp and have the whole household scrambling to find out what will make him happy. Stay tuned for the next chapter of “ how a Greyhound Pup trains his family.

Bless you Hettie and Belinda for bringing this creature into our lives, (take that anyway you want)
Greys4Us

Number of posts : 2206
Registration date : 2008-04-21

http://www.greytdogs.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheerios

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:21 am

Please keep posting these! This was a wonderful read! I can 't wait to read about Rio.
Jeanne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:44 am

How cute. I can't wait to hear more.

Tammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:27 pm

You're a saint for dealing with the puppies... Love the stories... Greyhound antics are so funny because they're usually so calm and laid back.... so when that low key demeanor takes a turn, even if short lived, it makes me laugh all over..... LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:33 pm

You so need to be writing books...your "voice" is wonderful to read and cannot wait to read more stories Smile
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down