Tigger Roo and the Bandit

Go down

Tigger Roo and the Bandit

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:18 pm

In case you haven't guessed by now, Tigger Roo was an exceptional Greytpup. Some of the things he did were unbelievable but most stunts have a witness. Tig was about 10 months old when my son called and asked if he could bring home a pet that someone had abandoned at the pet store where his girlfriend worked. I should mention that there is a sign in animal language on the telephone pole near my house that clearly states "Soft Touch Lives Here". It was a black faced ferret that my son assured me would only be with us for a few days till they could find it a good home. Ferrets and Greyhounds?? Hmmmm, not sure about this but we would give it a try. The ferret whose name was unknown came with a huge cage meant for an outside rabbit hutch. It was so huge that when it sat on the arm chair in the living room, it covered the chair. My DH put a piece of ply wood in our open coat closet alcove between the living and dinning room. This gave the ferret a clear view of both rooms yet kept him up high enough that the dogs could not reach him. He was a very personable little guy but he had been kept in a low small rabbit cage and had pretty much lost the use of his back legs. I set out to rehab the little guy with exercises to his legs and took him outside on a harness for walks. Tig would sit for hours in the chair backwards and watch the ferret in the cage. One day I decided to make the introduction between the two dogs and the ferret. Things went okay but our Misty wanted no part of the musky smelling thing and turned her nose up and left the room. Tigger, on the other hand, was fascinated by the critter. The
critter now had a name, Bandit, as well as a home. On ocassion I would let Bandit and Tigger play together in the house. They had great fun running and playing. Bandit would run across the floor hunching his back into a circle and jump on resting Tigger, slid down his back, then run under the sofa with Tig in hot persuit. While Tig was looking under the sofa, Bandit would come out at the end and sneak up behind Tig then jump on him again. When they tired of this game, Tig would curl up on his bed and Bandit would curl in between Tigs body and legs to take a nap together. When Bandit was in his cage and wanted to play with tigger, he would stomp his feet and makes a gutteral noise until he was let out to play. We often laughed at the two of them, both stamping their feet (Tig learned to mimic Bandits movements) wanting to play. Years passed and Bandit grew tired and one night Tigger set up such a howl that I thought he was having a seizure. when I let him out of his crate he ran over to the alcove and rooed something fierce. When I went over to see what was wrong, I found Bandit curled up in his favorite knit cap. Bandit has gone to the Bridge in his sleep, we guess he must have been about eleven years old. Tigger was inconsolable. At this time we had one of the worst freezes in years, the ground was so frozen it was like concrete. I pondered what to do with Bandit and came up with the thought to double zip lock him in his hat and put him in the freezer until we could bury him. Months passed, Spring came. My DH took Bandit out and burried him in the backyard under the maple tree. Before my DH went to work at 3pm, he called me to tell me that I would find a present on the front porch when I came home. He also said he would take care of it the next day but he wanted to warn me it was there. When I got home, I found the nice velvet box we had placed Bandit in sitting on the table on the porch. It seems Tigger had smelled his little friend and wanted him to play so he dug him up and brought him into the house. This scene was repeated every day for a week (I am a slow study sometimes). Finally we took Tigger out with us to make the final arrangements for Bandit. We burried him, again (#5) and this time placed a huge rock on top of the spot. Tig finally undestood that his Buddy was no more. Fast forward about three years, we were at the county fair in Gaithersburg. They had invited the greyhounds to have a booth in their animal pavilion. I took Tig and we walked around and there in front of us was a Ferret Rescue. Tigger got so excited and Rooed and stamped his feet in front of the X pen that contained a ferret that resembled Bandit. He whined and pulled on his leash until he was nose to nose with the ferret. It near broke my heart to see him sniff the ferret, fold his ears tightly against his head, and slowly walk back to my side,with is head hanging down. I swear I saw tears in his eyes. Everytime after that whenever we were somewhere that had ferrets, Tigger would look over whistfully but he never again stamped his feet to call his little buddy, Bandit, to come play. Thus ends another Tale of Tigger.

Back to top Go down

Re: Tigger Roo and the Bandit

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi All,

I put a picture of Tigger Roo in the picture section. It is always nice to put a face with a name.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:22 pm

These guys do have very big hearts and special attachements to their play mates no matter how large or small.

My little Cathi mourned the passing of her mentor Wiley this time last year. Even today if she sees a black sheperd she pulls and gets close enough to get a scent and then comes away sad...so hard to see the hurt and not be able to fix it for them.

Jackie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:05 pm

Oh what a sweet but sad story. It is amazing how intelligent these dogs are and how much they can remember.
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down