The adoption of Tigger Roo

Go down

The adoption of Tigger Roo

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:30 am

The Adoption of Tigger Roo or I shoulda known because..

My first greyhound pup, Misty-Blue (8 weeks old), left us for the Bridge at six months. Her story is partially told on the FFGR Blog under “why did I adopt a greyhound”. We had her long enough to get a terminal dosage of greytpup fever. The day after she left us, I received a foster dog named Dana. He was a huge white with red patches and will forever be my “the dog I let get away”. Two weeks later I found Misty-Too, she was a grown up version of our first puppy. In December our friends that introduced us to greyhounds, the Dawsons, came for dinner to help celebrate my birthday. Their pup, Teddi Bear, was our Misty Blues sister. It was bittersweet each time we saw her and we loved her like our own. During dinner, with a twinkle in his eye, Bob mentioned that Betty Rosen had received a group of greyhound pups. My DH immediately looked at me and said “NO HELEN, no puppy”. I quickly informed him that my birthday was coming up and if I wanted a GH pup, I WOULD get one. Bob phoned Betty to see if we could come right up and see them. As I went out the door, my DH told me “No, stripes and no males". When we arrived, Betty told us that of the three pups; only the two boys were still available. Betty let the pups out of the kennel for us to become acquainted. One pup was a black tipped, light cream fawn, with a black mask that went around his eyes. The other was a red brindle with a black muzzle. I played with both pups and began talking to Betty to see which one would best fit in my pack. Betty told me that neither pup would fit but if I insisted on a pup, I should take the cream fawn. At the same time I was having this discussion, the brindle pup had untied my shoelaces, eaten half of one, crawled up in Bobs lap and knocked his glasses off, then charged over to the counter where Betty and I were standing, jumped up and shoved all the paperwork onto the floor. “See what I mean?” Betty asked. “He is into everything all the time” He is a piranha with legs”. As we picked up the paperwork, the brindle pup came over and made the most piteous “rooooo” sound and kissed my ear. Well, I signed the paperwork and “Fendi” was mine. Before we could bring him home, Betty had us take him to Dr. Benson to have his head checked where he had been bitten by her male greyhound. Winston didn’t mean to bite him but just as he was coming down to take another mouthful of his dinner, the puppy had stuck his head in the way and Winston chomped him. I tried to look at the wound and was rewarded with a huge snarl and snapping teeth. At Dr. Bensons, they had to sedate the pup to take an x-ray of his head insuring that it was only a flesh wound and no “permanent “damage had been done. (I have questioned that diagnosis on many occasions). They brought out my drowsy pup and we started for home. The pup squirmed, wiggled and screamed halfway home until Lucy took him and put him over her shoulder. He then went fast asleep. (just as a reference, the pup was no bigger that from my elbow to my wrist and weighed 20lbs), when we arrived at home, Bob carried the pup into the house, who was still sleeping. Once in the house we put him on the reclining chaise and he still slept. My DH questioned if he was alive and also made comments as to how “ugly” this striped thing was with his hole in the head, that matched the one in mine. Being his Mom, I came to his defense and said that he was my present and that was the end of all comments. The Dawsons left for home and we began to settle in for the night. The pup still slept. I made a bed for him out of a tall cardboard box, put a large stuffie in with him. Still the pup slept. Two O’clock in the AM, I awoke to a horrible crash. I jumped out of bed to investigate. When I reached the living room, there was the box, a hole chewed in it just big enough for the pup to wriggle out, and my house was a disaster. Food dishes overturned, soggy kibble everywhere, stuffing from the toy intermingled with the food, bite sized pieces of newspaper all over the place and my dining room curtains and rod lay on the floor. No Puppy!! Where was he? I searched the house looking for him. It was the cat that gave him away. The cat kept looking at the sofa and hissing. I looked under the skirt of the sofa and there was the puppy. As I reached under to drag him out, I was rewarded with needle sharp teeth puncturing my fingers. I got the dust mop and pushed the critter out the end of the sofa. The puppy took off the minute he could stand up charging around the house. I finally caught him by throwing the oval plastic clothes basket over him. When I looked through the sides of the basket, deep black shark eyes looked out at me. Suddenly there erupted this piteous “roooing” from under the basket. I carefully lifted the edge of the basket and grabbed the pup by the back of his neck. As I picked him up, he became limp like silly putty and melted against my body. He settled against my neck and began those irresistible puppy kisses on my ear. I took the pup into the bedroom, tossed him onto our waterbed. The pup tumbled as he tried to walk and wriggled until he got to the head of the bed. He promptly lay on my pillow and went fast asleep. He never moved the rest of the night. Thus ended the first night with Tigger –Roo.
The “I shoulda known because”? Did I forget to mention that it was December 7th, Pearl Harbor Day? I guess I also forgot to mention that my horoscope that day read “Beware of a male with dark eyes who will try to enter your life today. He will create havoc in your life”?

Last edited by tiggersmom49 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : word left out)

Back to top Go down

Re: The adoption of Tigger Roo

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Love the story... Thanks for sharing
Donna

Back to top Go down