"Rio" AKA "Cujo"

Go down

"Rio" AKA "Cujo"

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:58 pm

I have hesitated writing this story because of losing Rio. The more I thought about it, the more convinced I am that it needs telling. I have somewhat come to terms with the loss of Rio. I know, in my heart, that he was sent to us for a reason. What that reason was or why his life was meant to be so short is not totally clear to me just yet. I do know that Rio scrubbed away hard brittle scars from my heart that I did not know were there. I can only hope that his time with us was half as wonderful as the joy he gave while being here. His story is worth the telling.

I always take my new kids for a get acquainted visit and check up as soon as I get them. Rio came on a Tuesday. The next day we were on the way to the vet and the "From Rio to Taco" incident occurred. When I finally arrived at the vet, everyone made over Rio. How cute he was, he gave kisses to all, had such a pleasant attitude, loved everyone. The vet completed the exam, and decided that she would give him his rabies shot and his last puppy vaccination. As she prepared the shots she told me what a excellently behaved little guy he was. He never tried to get off the table or bite at the instruments and seemed to have no fear at all. Then she tried to give him the shot.............right before my eyes......that sweet innocent little guy became all slashing claws and snapping teeth, screaming and snarling like he was a Tiger. He was twisiting his little body all around and it was near impossible for the tech to hold onto him. I was in shock! The vet yelled, "Don't let go of him, he has the needle stuck in him." The vet then called for more help. The Vet, three techs and myself, had all we could do to hold onto this little guy! As soon as the needle was withdrawn, it stopped. Once again there was my sweet, kissy face, loveable puppy, wagging his tail, giving kisses, grinning at everyone in the room. We all looked at each other in surprise. The vet still had to give him the rabies shot! We all grabbed a hold of the puppy and the vet said to hold on she was going to make this quick and dirty. It was over almost before it began! One snarl and shreik, and my sweet puppy was back. We have no idea why he behaved in this fashion. It could have been something from when he was hospitalized so long, just brought back painful memories. We will never know but I can tell you that he went from 0 - 90 in three flat seconds. One minute a sweet kissy pup, the next a wild tazmanian devil all slashing teeth and raking claws.

This being the final "Rio" story, I want to say that no matter how much heartache and pain we felt from losing him, it was well worth the price. The honor of being able to love him and watch him as he blossomed for even two short weeks was worth any cost to us.

Fly Free Sweet Chee"Rios"! You take with you the best piece of our heart, the one that belonged to you!

Back to top Go down

Re: "Rio" AKA "Cujo"

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:57 am

Tears spring from my eyes for our puppy, RIO. Life was a joy with him.

Back to top Go down