Results of Oreo Webster's Vet Visit

Go down

Results of Oreo Webster's Vet Visit

Post by Guest on Sun May 09, 2010 8:14 am

Overall "OWR" (Oreo Webster Roo) got a good report. we took him to have his legs checked as he has some weird movements at times and he had hit his leg going into the dog house when he was a wee pup. When OWR squats, he sticks his left leg out straight in front of him. Yes, it is as unusual looking as it sounds. He will also do this sometimes after he has run (which equals three staight laps up & down) while trying to walk to the house. Knowing that he could have a problem, we took him to Dr Benson for a check. Xrays of his legs and hips revealed what appears to be an old injury, possible hairline fracture at the top of the ball of his right hip. On the xray, it appeared as a "hole or empty spot" on the film. Dr B said that in young pups (under a year) it is sometimes hard to distinguish a hairline fracture because sometimes they open and close with movement and unless there is pressure on the fracture, it does not appear on film. He does not think that any corerctive treatment is needed as it seems to have started healing over and hopefully will fill in with time. there is some weakness in the hindquarters with applied pressure. OWR has a stilted gait (stiff legged) at times but that could be habit continued from when the hip joint hurt. OWR has mildly restricted freedom, no flat out racing, small walks, no big hills, no jumping or roughousing. I did ask him how big a rock I could use to hold OWR down. We have enrolled him in weekly swim sessions with Dr. B's approval hoping this will help strengthen his rear legs and muscles without undue pressure on the joint. I am hoping to be able to catch this on video as I am sure it will be an interesting episode! Dr. B said he is healthy other than Hook worms, which we are treating. I feel blessed that everything else checked out okay. At least now when he does those strange movements I know that it is not an injury I need worry about. Until next time, from the Roo House.

Back to top Go down

Re: Results of Oreo Webster's Vet Visit

Post by Guest on Sun May 09, 2010 8:43 am

Yippee-greyt news on the OWR front-you gotta post a few pics of the little 'land shark' in action!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 09, 2010 10:15 am

Um, the "land shark" is NOT so little. He weighed in at 57.1 lbs but he has very little muscle so that is solid dog! Pix are coming as soon as I can "tie" him down and Anne posts them for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 15, 2010 2:20 am

I am also waiting to see pictures of this Oreo pup (not that cookie thing). My Casey went through water therapy before she came up from FL. It helped a fair amount. When we adopted her, Hettie had some exercises that we did with her. Hettie thought that she would always have a limp. Now, unless you look closely (or if she is in need of attention~she is a drama queen after all) you would never know her leg was ever broken. Since Oreo is much younger than Casey was at the time of the injury, I'm sure you will have him running in no time. (Wait...is that a good thing?) Casey thinks it is. She is one fast not so little girl.
Thanks for all the land shark posts.
Sincerely,
Trish

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 17, 2010 2:44 pm

We have done water therapy (12 weeks) with another GH we had who injured her rear leg jumping/hitting a tie wall around midnight. She favored her leg for a long time (neither broken nor fractured) until we did the therapy. Before she went to the Rainbow Bridge, to my shock, Lizzie was well enough to jump another new, higher wall from a standing position. Water therapy is greyt and we are lucky enough to live close to a therapy center. Sooo..oooo, we have hopes for Oreo to build up the strength in his rear legs from swimming and develop those muscles he would have if he raced..

Anne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down