OWROO -gentle giant

Go down

OWROO -gentle giant

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:03 am

Sometimes nature has a way of showing us things that we are too busy to see in daily life. That is just what happened this morning. After Anne left for work around 7:15, I began the task of letting everyone out before starting the daily routine. I usually save Oreo until last because he takes quite a long time. OW only has one speed and it is not fast unless he is running laps. This morning was no exception. OW was sauntering along doing that annoying thing that some greys do, sniffing each blade of grass, when a beautiful Monarch butterfly flew overhead. I gave it not a second thought, other than to admire its beauty for half an instant. I looked down the yard to see OW standing stock still...not a hair was moving. Thinking this was some new GH antic to slow down the already snail pace process, I called to him. No movement at all! Normally, OW will at least look at me when he ignores me...but not this time, he was frozen in place! As I advanced on his position, I saw a slight movement just off his shoulder facing away from me. The closer I came the clearer my understanding...there perched on OW's shoulder was the lovely butterfly! OW was frozen in place from fear!! he was being "takked byz a munster"! The only thing OW dared to moved were his eyes which were flicking back and forth wide eyed. Just before I got to OW, the butterfly took flight. OW wasted no time making a straight line for the door and saftety. Before I could get to the house and open the door, the butterfly was drifting on the air currents over OW's head. OW was twisting his head back & forth watching "dis ebil munster" and had no idea I was close. Unexpectedly, the butterfly landed on my shoulder. OW was mesmerized...he moved not a muscle as the winged creature crawled from my shoulder to my head. I managed to sit in the swing and OW crept closer ever so slowly, letting his Llama nek lead the way. His feet were still planted at the door but his head and neck were stretched halfway across the patio. One careful step at a time, he came closer. Meanwhile the butterfly was having a grand time flitting and hopping from one place to another on my body, finally settling back on my shoulder. OW would creep close then the butterfly would flap its wings or move and OW would back away. Eventually, OW came close enough to poke the butterfly with his nose. I held my breath hoping that he did not try to grab it but he did not. When after what seemed like forever, the butterfly took flight. OW happily followed along as best he could until the fence impeded his progress. Then he ran alongside the fence watching the butterfly until it flew out of sight. It is amazing to me how the creatures of the earth can instictively know that gentleness is required. Normally, OW would have lept in the air, grabbing at the butterfly and possibly injured it tragically. He did not, instead he was so gentle when he touched its delicate body with his nose that it brought tears to my eyes........ we can learn a lot from animals....if we only take the time to reach out and touch another of earths creatures gently, what a better place the world might be.........

Back to top Go down

Re: OWROO -gentle giant

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:24 am

Sorry I missed seeing this........I know you have had other moments with some of your deceased greys and buutterflies............so this meant a greyt deal to you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Greys4Us on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:13 am

What a sweet story. Oreo is such a gentle sweet soul; all you have to do is look at him to tell that. Greyhounds have so much to teach us. Thanks for sharing, Helen.
Greys4Us

Number of posts : 2206
Registration date : 2008-04-21

http://www.greytdogs.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:28 am

That's a lovely story..... Thanks for sharing..... they DO teach us so much... if we'll just pause long enough to listen and learn....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:21 am

What a nice story.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:05 am

Thanks for sharing. I agree totally our animals can teach us so much if we only let them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum