An OREO report 2010

Go down

An OREO report 2010

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:37 pm

Sorry, this is not from "Da pup" but it is about him. We have had Oreo since May, Six months! Seems much longer than that, almost like forever. When we first got him, I have to say I was concerned that we might not be able to help him. His back legs were weak, they had very little muscle tone. He would not/could not run at all. For a pup less than a year this was very sad. We knew before we adopted him that he had been injured at the farm as a pup. We did not know the extent of that injury until we took him to Dr. Benson. Oreo had a fracture across the top of his hip bone. Dr B stated that even if he had seen him immediately, he is not sure he would have treated him any differently than they did at the farm. As we all know, surgery on a young pup is very risky and the time that would have been involved in a surgery of the type to correct the problem would have meant hours on the table. We could not "fix" the problem so we circumvented it. We gave"O' swim therapy which made him use his back legs and made them very strong, built muscles and stamina. I cannot describe to you the feeling it gave us to see "O" take his first run in the yard after only a few sessions. He has not stopped running since that day. He loves to run, play and experience life. It was extremely painful to lose "Cheerios" but helping his half brother back to full capacity helped me heal. I will always be grateful to Hettie, Belinda and Oreo Websters owner for sending him to us at that time. I must say that when I opened the email Belinda sent to me, Oreo's picture took my breath away. He was handsome but it was the look in his eyes that grabbed my heartstrings. It spoke to me and begged me for help.

Oreo has come very far since arriving here. He has transformed from the "shaggy fuzzy farm dog" into a sleek, handsome true greyhound. His body has lengthened, he has gotten taller, lost his puppy farm fat, and developed a personality all his own. Dewey was good for him. He learned that "big" greyhounds potty outside, are not always afraid of things they do not understand, learned to trust his family to protect him from harm, gained confidence in his "own being" and trust his instincts. Plus he learned that Bill is a nice bed buddy especially when you are in a strange house that's scary. He still has fear of people, we tell everyone he is invisible and to pretend they cannot see him, he eventually comes up to sniff them. He has broadened his "trusted people" to include a few more "Hoomans". He is still the clown and he makes us laugh everyday with his silliness and antics. He amazes us with his zest for life and the way he approaches life. Each new experience he has helps him to grow into a more secure greyhound. He still believes fully that I am the best play/chew toy he was ever given. He loves to wrap his feet around my ankles, chew my socks and clothes as if they were toys. His favorite game is to step into the back of my shoes, while I am still in them to see if "mom" can walk. At least once a day (more likely a million times) you can be sure to hear "oreodammit" which he has come to believe is his true name.

Would I change anything about him? NO! I wish he had not been injured and suffered the pain but then, he would probably be on the track racing and not here in our home where he is safe and loved. Oreo has a distance to go before he can be the "perfect" greyhound but we will take him there one step at a time, in his own time, no matter how long that may take. He has come so very far from where he was that first day he came and we cherish every step we took together. Thank you Oreo Webster Roo, you are a blessing sent from a very bunch of special angels, some of which walk this earth with us!

Back to top Go down

Re: An OREO report 2010

Post by Greys4Us on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:55 pm

This is testimony to the fact, Helen, that with the right "people" adopting these greyhounds, they can bloom into the creatures they were meant to be. With the right amount of knowledge and understanding and, the most important part, the patience and love, all dogs will respond in the most positive ways. There are no bad dogs. Only misunderstood dogs.

Thanks for giving him the love and attention he deserves. I'm so glad that he got the right home!

Greys4Us

Number of posts : 2206
Registration date : 2008-04-21

http://www.greytdogs.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:31 pm

Helen,

You are utterly amazing in your love and work with this boy...and in so many other ways to.

That people such as you (and lots of others like you) exist are clear signs of a loving God and caring creator.

Many blessings on you (and Hettie and the rest of the gang) for your "heart".

--Isaac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Helen, Thanks for sharing with us all how Oreo Webby Roo is doing.... He certainly IS handsome..... Am sure Oreo will grow into a great 'big' greyhound with you at the helm.... How could he not? Happy New Year....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Helen,
Thanks for the update. I agree totally with everyone comments above and also would like you to know that we have thouroughly enjoyed all the updates written by Oreo "the greyt pup" not that cookie thingy. You have such a way with words and I can picture all the antics when you have written about them. Thanks for sharing your love and knowledge with us. May 2011 be a truely Greyt Year for you and all in the Roo Family!
Trish

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:38 pm

Helen we are so happy that Oreo came to live with you. The day i went to the farm and met him you are who i thought of.I knew if he would get a chance to have a full wonderful life it was with you. Loosing Cheerios was the hardest thing . But reading about Oreo thriving and enjoying life made me feel wonderful. Cheerio came in to our lives so Oreo could get the home he was ment to have. Thank you so much for caring and loving him and Cheerios. I think very highly of you and your love for the greys.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:25 pm

Belinda, thank you and the others for the nice comments. Please let his owner know that he has become the light in my life. I never imagined that anyone could replace the Cherrios but Oreo has come close to doing that. And we have the Bitzie, who embodies what The Rio would look like all grown up. Some days we have his ears sitting on the sofa and other days she plays and squeaks the toys to remind us that he sent us two pups to replace the hole he left in our lives. Imagine that, it took two pups to replace that gentle little guy, what big footprints he left on this earth! Hugs to all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down