The Raising of a Greyt (?) Pup

Go down

The Raising of a Greyt (?) Pup

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:19 pm

When I adopted my first Greyhound pup, I was green as grass. Misty-Blu was the perfect pup: two days to potty train, walked on leash perfect, she was wonderful!! All this at 9 weeks of age. Sadly, we lost her on her sixth month birthday to a tick borne disease. The next greyt pup, was Tigger-Roo, 3 months old, who was anything but perfect.....in fact, he was the worst pup I have every encountered.....Until.....well, now we have OREO Webster Roo.....at eleven months, I thought it would be a breeze since I had raised and survived thrteen years with the original "puppy from Hell -0! What I did not expect or even give any thought about was that this new breed of greyt pups were extremely people wise...except O RE-Oh No! The "O"Man has invented a few new torments that I had not encountered before. His most favorite is to go outside for potty, do SOME business, then come in and at the precise moment I pick up my coffee cup for the first sip, maul me with his big foot and screech to go outside. He cannot possibly wait, it has to be this very minute or he will have an accident. I put him out only to have him aimlessly wander the entire yard until he has smelled evry blade of grass then come back and pee on the first one he encountered. After this task is completed, the "O" comes in to findanother torment for me. At the moment my english muffin is buttered and about to enter my mouth, "O" takes his cold pointy nose and pokes me in the middle of my back telling me that he now needs something else...who knows what..most likely it is my breakfast! The more I ignore him, the harder he pokes and if that does not work, then he begind to swat me with those big feet again. I have permanent "maul marks" on my inner thighs and legs to prove this is the truth. Someone (?) thought it would be a good idea to teach "O" to use his voice instead of his feet. This was a good idea until I realized that his "speaking voice" is still under construction and like his outside voice, ranges from a deep throaty big dog sound to an irritating super screechy earsplitting scream. You know the one- the one that peels paint from walls, makes you back teeth itch and your ears want to slam shut and never open. Yeah, that one. Only "O" has a unique way of using all the range in his voice in one word. You never know if you will get the deep throaty sound or the soundproof room piercing sreechy scream but you are certain to get it all.

Having "O" be afraid of the world has been heartbreaking but eqully as entertaining. Sometimes he is an imp and I think I would like to have a blanket made out of his hide and the next instant he is bringing tears to our eyes by rejoicing in the fact that we finally get that he cannot chew a "large" milkbone biscuit and that when we break it in half, "O"s world has suddenly righted itself and he is a very happy little boy.
Now that WE know that, he gets smaller biscuits (2) and he thinks that is just Greyt.

"O" has a very keen interest in his Auntillys glass shower. When anyone takes a shower and does not get the room door closed quickly enough, "O" is sure to be there making sure the proper shower ettiquite is undertaken. We have been tempted to take him into the shower with us but the idea of trying to wrestle a 70lb dog in a 4X4 glass shower enclosure does not appeal to any of us. "O" did use the shower, with the help of Bootie our older cat, to trap a mouse one morning. Imagine, OREO, the cat and the mouse all enclosed in the shower at the same time. it loses something in translation but it was quite hysterical to watch the cat chase the mouse behind the glass door and "O" try to catch it from the other side of the door. Poor mousie, which devil is the best one, the one intent on playing you to death or the "stupid one" that has no idea he cannot get thru the glass but is a gazillion times beigger and has nasty gnashing teeth pussing against the glass?
Mousie chose to have a heart attack and end all the fun. Then it was up to Bootie to figure out how to get the mouse past "O".

Then there was the cricket that got into the house and attacked "O"....truthfully, it was just trying to figure out how to get back outside after hitching a ride on "O" from the sidewalk. And the "kaddilehopper" that could leap tall buidlings but kept landing on "O"s back. We have more fun watching "O" try to figure out his every day life. He will make ten circles around the sofa at night if someone dares to get into his sleep spot and finally the pooch on the sofa gets tired or dizzy enough that they give it up to him. We grin at the way "O" ever so gently gets up onto the sofa one "weggie" at a time then turns around and around equally as gently and unexpectedly flops on whomever happens to be sitting there.

To say that "raising" this greyt pup has been a challenge, would be like saying the Titanic was a row boat. There have been times that I threatened to send him back to Aunt Hettie but then he gives you that "O" puppy look that melts your cold hard heart and the thought flies away like puppy down on a warm summer breeze.

I never had a clue that my last greyt pup would be such a challenge but when he arrives at the place where DoG intended for him to be, what a greyt reward we will all have reaped.

Thank You "Cherrios" for sending me what may be the greytest challenge of a lifetime.

Back to top Go down

Re: The Raising of a Greyt (?) Pup

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:36 pm

What a story.... It brought tears from laughing. What I would like to know is When is the book coming out? You have a bestseller of greyt tales to tell about greyt tails.

Skip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:27 pm

Ditto what Skip said.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:00 am

Slip, I would love to write a book but it would have to be in the "fiction" section cause NOBody, cept another greyt owner, would believe these things are possible!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down