A Letter to Oreo Webster Roo

Go down

A Letter to Oreo Webster Roo

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:37 am

My Dearest Oreo,
As I sit here stroking your velvet ears while you lay sleeping, head in my lap, my mind wanders. It wanders back to the first "puppy" whose ears I stroked similarly. You have part of her within you. As I accidentally rub your soft fur the wrong direction, your beautiful eyes flutter open briefly. Reminding me of another sleeping hound my hands once embraced. You inhale depply and release the deep sigh we all love to hear. I think back to your arrival and that terrified look in your eyes as I reached out for you. Had I understood your fear I may have approached differently. My thoughts reflect on another pup whose fears were founded on mistreatment while running at large. My heart swells with pride remembering the day at the ER vet when Snoopy cried real tears and the vet insisted that I must stay with him to keep him calm. Your fear, while not due to mistreatment, was just as great. You feared everything, and each new thing that came into your life had to be learned. Watching you twitch your whiskers in dream, makes me remember a little girl whose dreams where so vivid and real to her, that she slept with her eyes open, if she slept at all. After being with us for many months, she finally closed her eyes without any fear of what might happen. I am startled when you suddenly rearrange you body position for I have been deep in thought. Even in this simple act, you bring on the memory of another greyhound that lives in the deep recesses of my mind. He was not mine, but I could not have loved him any more than if he had been. It is because of him, I found greyhounds. Bobby will always be "my first main man" of greyhounds. When I would greet him with that phrase, Bobby would wiggle all over and smile at me. Yes, dear Oreo, you are parts of many marvelous greyhounds that flutter through my mind. It is thanks to those many greyhounds that I had the knowledge and ability to bring you from a terrified farm dog to where you are today. We shall travel together to learn the world. You have given me the greatest gift any greyhound has to give, your trust. I know you love me by the way you watch me and never want me to be out of your sight. But your trust is the reward I recieve for teaching you what I have been taught by those greyhounds that have touched my life before you. It is not easy for you to trust, you had never been given the tools needed to understand what trust truly is. You were fed, given shelter but required to do nothing else but exist. There were no rules to abide, no manners to learn, your behavior was what ever you felt at the time. As I sit here with you body warming mine, I realize just how far you have come. No longer are you the unruly, leaping clawing machine (although you do have lapses). I watch you put your instinct aside, and while you are excited, you do not jump upon me unless told it is acceptable. You still run through the house wildly but with some restraint and you try to avoid crashing into the other dogs with a learned skill. You wait until it is your turn to be fed, yes, your feet are dancing but you are not shoving the others aside any longer. Suddenly, your eyes open wide from some sound or unseen foe, I assure you that all is well and your dark endless pools are slowly covered by relaxing lids and deep sleep returns once more. This is you at your best, when I can love you, touch you and revell at the remarkable fellow you have become. Yes, dear Oreo, it's you and me against the world and together, we can accomplish anything!! And we both have all those that have come before to thank for it.

Lub U,
Mom

Back to top Go down

Re: A Letter to Oreo Webster Roo

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Awww, just, Awww. Sweet O'

Back to top Go down

Post by Greys4Us on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:58 pm

So heartwarming..........love this. I love you
Greys4Us

Number of posts : 2206
Registration date : 2008-04-21

http://www.greytdogs.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:28 pm

So touching!........Love it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Oh.... LOve you too O.... so glad you've learned to trust your human mom... it will be the best lesson you'll learn....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:01 pm

Ah, Helen, then there are the words from O's owner, "I never thought he would find a home." He is still astounded that someone would adopt this pup with a world of troubles following him.....had we but known all that loving Oreo would entail or how that dirty mutt who arrived in Annapolis a bit more than a year ago would be so needy in love, learning and patience.......would you/we, could you/we do it all again...........of course! Somewhere along the greyt greyhound path of being owned by these special creatures, those special ones seem to see into the hearts of those humans who have a special understanding of what it takes to love them, give them a sense of peace and calm and select that certain human to live with in their forever home........and select them these pups do. Anyone who has done greyhound placement knows these pups know who they want to love forever. Strange as it may seem, Oreo sent his vibes to us through a picture online...........we often wonder what our "peaceful" life would be like without O in it.........we kinda of know what his would be like without us...and we are especially delighted to see any small progress O makes towards accepting the world as his friend.....know that he still has a lot of steps to take towards this end...........but we love him dearly, he makes us chuckle, scold him at times and, especially, smile when we see him running free in the back yard with a greyt grin on his face. Oreo is growing up!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down