New Sub Forum

Go down

New Sub Forum

Post by Greys4Us on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:39 am

I added this new topic to our Health and Nutrition Forum. I'll try to add more information about the latest studies and any other item that I think might be useful. Also, if you do end up with having to deal with this disease, please post here for help and support.

Hettie
Greys4Us

Number of posts : 2206
Registration date : 2008-04-21

http://www.greytdogs.org

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sub Forum

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:25 pm

I asked my vet about this because I saw so many related postings. My vet didnt think that greyhounds were any more susceptible to this than other breeds, just that it is a problem for big dogs in general. Though they may have just been trying to make me not worry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:52 pm

Hettie thank you so much. I look here often for resources and this sub topic will help a lot of us in a time when we may need some logical answers. I must admit my 4 go to the vet and are gone over with a fine tooth comb. My vets have multiple greys they treat and have unfortunately lost 4 in the last year to osteo. They share info with me quite a bit and when we have info I share it back to them as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Thank you for adding this Hettie.
Just because a dog is diagnosed with this disease, doesn't necessarily mean nothing can be done. There are several options you can talk to your vet about.
Duncan survived 2 years and 4 months before he passed away. He had the amputation and was able to manage on 3 legs just as well as two. (He even jumped off the porch and chased a deer into the woods.)
One of the main things I learned was not to put human emotions on the dog. In my opinion, dogs adapt with what they have and don't go through all the emotional stuff that a person would.
With Duncan, it was also suggested that he could have had a bone replacement instead of the amputation.
I think they take a bone and replace the diseased bone with it. The oncologist could tell you about prognosis.
Hopefully you won't have to deal with issue, but if you do, just know that there are options available.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Brian, thank you for the insightful info. I was also faced with this decision many years ago. In our case, sadly, amputation was not an option, not because it could not be done but because Misty-Too was blind as well. She was always a Diva girl and without sight and the added trauma of an amputation, we (the vet and us) felt that it would be too much to ask of her.She was 10 at the time and had the beginings of kidney failure also. I have found over the many years that amputation is a very personal decision. If the cancer can be totally removed, it is a good thing. Last year we were faced again with the big "C" with our Jetta Sue. This time it was in a toe and could be removed with clean margins. Will it come back? Who knows but without the removal of the toe, the outcome was certain to be a bad one. It will be a year in December and we are praying that we can celebrate the new year with a big celebration. thanks again for your input...we always need all the info we can get.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:52 pm

Thanks for your comments. I hope your dog will be alright.
There is a lot to consider if your dog is ever diagnosed. Even if osteo returns eventually, at least you know that you had more time with them and did the best you could for your dog.
You're the only one that can make your dog's decision and your dog trusts you to do the right thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:46 am

I have lost 2 to osteo.........neither were candidates for amputation......too far gone in my 5 year old Mandy and with Chessie (Cool recently it was the location that made the difference........each case is different.........each one has the choice and I personally am not an amputation fan......with Jetta Sue Helen's dog we caught it early on and it was localized so the toe could be amputated........there is no easy choice with the C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:52 pm

My dog ran just as well on 3 legs as he did 4. In fact he ran for another 2 years and 4 months on 3 legs. Dogs adapt.
I don't think any choice is easy, but generally speaking, I don't like to see people do anything just out of convenience. Convenience always worries me when it comes to pets.
Also, don't forget that a "bone-replacement" or other options may be possible if a dog is diagnosed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down