Benny the Jet

Go down

Benny the Jet

Post by Greys4Us on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:44 am

We've had the honor of fostering sweet Benny for the past week. What an amazing dog! Although Benny is very shy, he can suprise us sometimes. He is very low energy like his brother Billy and he is also on the very quiet side. We haven't heard a peep from him since he came here. Although he is very shy, you can tell that he wants to interact but can't quite get there.

We thought when we brought Benny here that he would want to be with Billy. But that didn't happen at all! It seemed like Billy wanted to be with Benny! However, they did not seem to be bonded and that is why Jo is fostering Billy. I think they can easily be separated. While Billy could probably be an only dog (he is so perfect!), Benny probably would do much better with other greyhounds.

He follows us everywhere but at a "safe" distance that he determines. He likes being in the pack and has no problems going out or coming in to the house. His shyness can really be seen if he is alone. He can be right there with us but if we reach out to him he backs off and runs in the other direction. At times, though, depending on how he feels, he will stand still and let us pet him. We try to be very low key with him and not push him but we keep trying to get him to trust us. He is now surprising us by walking up behind us and sticking his nose on our leg. But if we turn around, he will back off.

We have seen worse spooks. The one good thing about Benny is that he LOVES walking. He is easy to leash up and Bill says that he walks perfectly. I think his years on the track helped him with walking so he does not have to be managed on the leash. Noises don't seem to bother him while he's walking. You can walk him anywhere and he just goes along wonderfully.

He is a sweet and gentle dog. And he makes great eye contact. He has been perfect in the house and can be totally trusted. He doesn't mind the crate but is OK in or out of it. He loves food and responds well to treats so we make sure we give him treats every time he does something good.

If anyone adopts Benny they are going to get a wonderful dog!

Last edited by Greys4Us on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Greys4Us

Number of posts : 2206
Registration date : 2008-04-21

http://www.greytdogs.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Benny the Jet

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:04 am

Wow, Benny sounds incredibly sweet! You are doing a great job observing his behavior & taking care of his needs!

-Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:12 pm

He sounds a lot like my Annie. She likes to be in her own space - but always with an ear open so she doesn't miss out on anything. She loves to walk and go places so puts up with having to visit with people rather than be left behind. I hope Benny finds his special place soon so he can settle in and build his confidence.

Did you see the comment on Facebook about shy dogs being like a secret and only their family gets to see the real dog? I thought that was so true.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:12 pm

am singing the Elton John Song: 'Benny and the Jets' as I read this one... Benny sound like a sweet heart and just needs the right place and personalities to help him build his confidence. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greys4Us on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:34 am

Well, we found the key to Benny's heart! FOOD!!!

Last night Bill made a large T-bone steak that we split for dinner. I gave Benny a couple of little pieces and was amazed that he actually took them from my hand! We were both tired so we left most of the dishes in the sink and went to bed. I woke up to a huge noise and when I came out into the kitchen, Benny was emptying the sink of the dishes! Not only that, but the splatter screens that Bill used to cover the steak while it was cooking were lying on a dog bed this morning all chewed up! So I guess that we have to make sure there is no food lying around anywhere! Benny is NOT shy when it comes to food!

Greys4Us

Number of posts : 2206
Registration date : 2008-04-21

http://www.greytdogs.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:20 am

That is hilarious. Funny that the noise he was making didn't scare him off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Benny sounds like Oreo with new people......that is the Oreo of today not the O-man of yesterday.......when we adopted him, he would bark and walk backwards away from people. We thought for sure he could be a fear biter if someone cornered him or push the wrong buttons...........but with time and patience he has turned into a remarkable dog....I looked at the picture from when we first adopted him just the other day and truly there was no light in his eyes....he was a sad pup (11 months old)........now he has adopted us and seems more every day to like the people who come into our home........the light is bright in his eyes and he has wonderful spirit...........our wish is that Benny may adopt the right family, too.......he sounds like he is light years ahead of Oreo in coming to smell people from the rear that took O a good year or more to do......We always tell people to ignore him, don't look him in the eye, he is INVISIBLE......these day we say it less and less.........Sweet Benny the right home is there for you....... your Aunt Hettie and Uncle Bill will take good care of you and see you on your journey's way.....Blessings sweet pu;!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24 pm

I just finished reading a book called "I'm listening with a broken ear" by Vicky Kaseorg. Its not about greyhounds but about a family that takes in an injured stray and ends up working with a rescue group. They finally figure out that the dog will do anything for food and that is what helps turn the dog around. It was free for kindle this week on Amazon and very interesting. Not sure that Benny would excel at agility like that dog but it made me think of him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:27 am

You always have to watch the quiet ones. Benny appears to be shy but a sweet hound. who will continuely surprise you.
Sounds like a wonderful pupper for someone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down