Hershey Update

Go down

Hershey Update

Post by Greys4Us on Sun May 27, 2012 8:33 am

Hershey is settling in nicely. She is such a sweetheart!!! She doesn't whine as much and she no longer pants at all. She is eating really well and eats what we give her. We started switching her over slowly to a senior diet which includes dry kibble and canned senior food. We are still giving her the Old Roy for a little while longer. So far no problems. She loves treats so we are giving her a few at a time and trying to keep them to a minumum.

She slept out in the house last night (where she wanted to sleep) and never made a peep. Yesterday when I went to Hearty Pets for the meet and greet, I baby gated her in the kitchen only because I didn't want her out with the other dogs in case they ran over her. She hated that! She whined and made a lot of noise when I got home and Bill said she whined a lot while he was here. When I let her out of the kitchen, she immediately ran over to the other dogs and found a bed near them. She slept peacefully on her bed most of the afternoon.

She really likes being around the other dogs. She often wags her tail at them and goes nose to nose. She hates going outside and won't go off the porch. She will go out but will stand at the door to go back in. We have to take her by the collar and walk her out in to the yard. She will try to get back on the porch. We decided to take her out alone and leave her there by herself. She will eventually go off the porch and wander around on her own and do her business. Don't know what that is all about but hopefully she will do better as time goes on. She has not had any accidents in the house.

This morning she greeted me with a tail wag and a partial roach when I approached her on her bed to say good morning. She has also given me a few kisses.

She is an "old" eleven. She walks slowly and seems to have some issues with her back legs. It could be arthritis. She has a vet appointment for Friday morning so we hope that we can get a good idea of her health status.

Every time I look at her my heart melts. I can't imagine anyone having this dog for over eight years and claiming that they never bonded to her. I just don't understand that at all. How could you not love this beautiful creature?! scratch We will make sure that she feels very loved here every moment. I love you I'll continue to update.

Greys4Us

Number of posts : 2206
Registration date : 2008-04-21

http://www.greytdogs.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Hershey Update

Post by Guest on Sun May 27, 2012 8:38 am

Soooooo glad you have her now.. I don't get it either... I think it took 2 sec for me to bond to my boys.. it's not hard.. one look into their sweet eyes and you're hooked for life. Hugs to Hershey from our little pack. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 27, 2012 9:09 am

So glad she is beginning to settle. in and is feeling the love she deserves. Let us know what we can do to help :>)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 27, 2012 9:14 am

Thank you for updating us on the adventures of Hershey! She sounds like a darling senior. I'm glad that she is comfortable with the other dogs. It seems as if she is settling in nicely. Soooo wonderful that she is in a place where she is now LOVED!!!!!! Give Hershey an extra scratch on the neck from us today!

Last edited by FLGREY07 on Sun May 27, 2012 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 27, 2012 10:12 am

It takes a cold person to treat any dog the way Hersey was treated. Her not wanting to go out could be due to being put out and not being let back in, maybe? Or she could just be confused and does not want anyone else to take her away. Lord love her, she is beautiful!! Gettin my stick out to head for her old home, LOL Headlines : "Greyhound loving Woman Takes Stick to Old Owner" Will you all bail me out??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 27, 2012 10:26 am

I am starting a fund for your bail money. Any contributors?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Count me in.....I have many times been so tempted myself.... Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 28, 2012 11:23 am

I'm so glad that Hershey is doing better!

You mentioned that she is an "old" eleven year old...just an FYI, we tried feeding our previous "old" acting greyhound (12 yrs) a "senior dry food" with terrible results. That food only made her act more like a VERY old dog. I even told the company what I thought of their "senior" food (it was Eagle Pack Holistic Senior, which is a quality brand).

All of our greys regardless of age do exceptionally well on Eagle Pack Holistic Select dry kibble moistened with warm water.

Back to top Go down

Post by Greys4Us on Wed May 30, 2012 10:06 am

Hershey Update: She is doing very well considering! Since the poor girl has arrived, it's been one thing after another here so it's hard to tell how everything is really going.

We've had three power outages here due to storms in one week. One for four hours, one for eight hours and one for thirty hours! Of course, the storms and rain are one thing but the noise from a generator going is quite another. It sounds like a jet plane. The dogs don't know what to do. Some won't go off the porch with the rain.

Hershey's problem with going outside may have to do partially because of the rain and noise. She's had three poop accidents in the house but I'm not upset with her about that. We let her outside and she immediately stands at the door to come back in. I am hoping if we get past all the rain and noise that she will do better.

She is eating really well and she seems to have settled in with the exception of the outside issue. I think that once we can get her into some kind of routine she will be much better off.

She is such a sweet girl. We are now thinking that perhaps she was an outside dog a lot. Her paws pads are very rough, her fur is thick and rough and her skin looks tough. So she may not be used to being an inside dog.

Diane, we are switching her over to Canidae as that is what the other seniors are eating here. But if she doesn't do well on that we will definitely try the Eagle Pack.

I'll continue to update.

Greys4Us

Number of posts : 2206
Registration date : 2008-04-21

http://www.greytdogs.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Glad she seems to adjusting, despite these crazy storms... hopefully she'll continue to settle down with time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 30, 2012 9:20 pm

You just never know what an animal has been through before you rescue them. I think that you are right about the routine. I think that getting Hershey into a steady routine will really help! I'm glad that she's hanging in there & has a good appetite! Hugs to sweet Hershey!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down