Hershey's Vet Visit

Go down

Hershey's Vet Visit

Post by Greys4Us on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:53 pm

Hershey and I took a trip to the vet today. I am so glad we got her there. She had "the works". Since she had no vet records, she got a senior blood test that will be sent out for an in-depth analysis. She got her heartworm test and that turned out to be negative. He fecal was negative too (very surprising considering how many fleas she had). Both of her ears are infected. Not surprising as we saw how bad they looked. We decided to let the vet do the work on her ears rather than to touch them ourselves. She also had a skin scraping that eliminated mites, scabies and mange as the reasons for her rash. But she does have a fairly severe skin infection. That is why she has all those dry looking scabs. That probably is due to the fleas she lived with. She had her toe nails clipped. We did it once but decided to let the vet do it again. Her toe nails look really good now and hopefully with some trimming they will get to a good length. She is already walking better.

She probably has some arthritis in her hips which we can treat with joint supplements. We can go ahead and give her a heart worm pill and some flea/tick preventative. We just kept combing her rather than to apply some topical medication for fleas since we didn't know what her medical conditions might be or what kind of tests the vet might want to do.

She only weighs 50.5 pounds and can use a few pounds. The good news is that she is eating really well. Probably once she starts getting some vitamins in her from good food she will put on a little weight.

She was such a hit at the vet's office! She is a very vocal girl and she lets everyone know what she likes and doesn't like. Although she is very opinionated, she is not difficult. It's very endearing. She has a very polite whine!

Bill has taken her for a walk the last two days and she now knows that when the leashes come out what that means; she jumps around like the other dogs. She LOVES walks. She also has decided that she wants to sleep with us in our room. For the last two nights she has paced and whined in the middle of the night. We'd get up and let her out. But then she'd keep whining. Last night we put a bed in our room and she came right in, settled down and never made a sound the rest of the night. That's fine with us!

Hershey didn't have the best care taker so God took care of her as she dodged a lot of bullets. I'm so glad that now she might find that perfect person who will give her the life she deserves.

Hettie

Greys4Us

Number of posts : 2206
Registration date : 2008-04-21

http://www.greytdogs.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Hershey's Vet Visit

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks for the update. Sounds like she is very happy and has already bonded to you and Bill. Thank you for taking this precious girl in and giving her the love and attention she deserves!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:51 pm

She deserves the best and right now she has the best.. Bill and Hettie's.. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:13 pm

I am so glad that the reports are good for her so far. Pretty little thing. She deserves the very best for sure and Mary is right she is there right now Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:41 pm

I agree she is in the best care she can be!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:47 pm

Umm, I am preaching with the chorus BUT...I think Hershey has decided she likes it where she is!!! I know that if the perfect home came along she would let you know but for now........I think she thinks she has found her heaven on earth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:50 pm

She certainly did have "the works." Good for her! Now hopefully that skin infection will clear up soon! It sounds like she is thriving at your house & her personality is blossoming! It makes me happy to know that Hershey is in the hands of you & Bill and that she is finally loved!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:56 pm

Sounds like Hershey has had some major bumps in the road but is on her way to recovery. She sounds like such a sweet girl. She is definitely in the best hands Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:39 pm

Hershey you found your Angels in Hettie and Bill.........not every grey gets to be rescued twice..........the second time is the charm............so glad that overall you are in good health............and.....moving into the bedroom is a great plan!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum